Thursday, March 11, 2010

Improvised Equipment

In my quest to collect more equipment for my observation, I managed to come up with some innovative eyepieces. These are not the expensive ones with high quality glass and hi tech stuff. The eyepieces that I was able to salvage has plastic lenses and is of Ramsden design. They were taken from binoculars and were fitted accordingly so that they will slip right in the .956 diagonal.

Here is a picture of the two eyepieces together with the 22mm eyepiece.

I don't know the exact specifications of the two salvaged eyepieces but the one on the far right is an original part of the telescope set. I included it for size comparison.

Here is comparison of the views between the 22mm eyepiece and the large salvaged eyepiece

22 mm eyepiece


big salvaged eyepiece

Here's a view of the eyepiece inserted to the diagonal



Using the big salvaged eyepiece for low power views was great. I used it all night yesterday for the M41, M42 and M44. The smaller salvaged one was great for planetary observation. Saturn appeared crisp and bright. One doesn't need expensive sets of equipment to have great views. All you need is some imagination and do it yourself know how.

4 comments:

  1. Wow you seem like you're really into what you're doing. I can see the passion. Actually I've also been interested with all the planets and galaxies outside the Earth but I don't have the equipment so I didn't continue my liking. But now that I read your blog posts I think I just need a little more confidence and hard work and I'll be able to do what I really want.

    I hope you stay happy with your hobby and I wish you good luck. ;)

    Thanks for sharing your passion. I might as well start mine now before I end up having regrets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I'm glad that I was able to share my passion with you. A good friend told me once that looking at the stars is free. I'm sure that your passion in astronomy will enable you to enjoy the cosmos in a way that you have never experienced before. I wish you luck in your adventures in astronomy! Its never too late!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvin,
    This has long been due. First of all, thank you for your interest in the hobby, and thank you for the purchase of the scope.
    The truth is, things do find their way, I believe in that.
    So I'd like to think the particular scope could not have been better with another owner..
    I wish you all the best in this hobby!
    -Alex

    "We are all in the gutters,
    but some of us are looking at the stars"
    -Oscar Wilde

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're produced by the very best degree developers who will be distinguished for your polo dress creating. You'll find polo Ron Lauren inside exclusive array which include particular classes for men, women. OOMNEX equipment

    ReplyDelete