Sunday, December 5, 2010

First Deep Sky Object Astrophotography

Doing astrophotography work is not an easy feat. There's the problem of setting up a decent telescope, getting a good camera and waiting for long hours to get magnificent shots of galaxies, star clusters, nebulae, planets and other heavenly bodies. However, doing astrophotography with a mediocre telescope and a digital point and shoot camera seems impossible especially if you are shooting Deep Sky Objects or DSOs (my definition of this is heavenly bodies found outside our solar system which is very, very far away).

However, I do not want to be limited with my equipment and I want to liberate whatever tools I have to achieve little things that will surely help me understand more sophisticated equipment. Tonight, I tried getting shots of the Orion Nebula using my trusty 4.5 inch equatorially mounted reflector, a 22mm Ramsden Eyepiece and a friend's Canon IXUS 130 digital point and shoot camera. Taking this photo only took me around 15 minutes including telescope setup. Here is the result of my effort of trying to capture the Orion Nebula (click the photo for a larger view): 

My astrophoto of the Orion Nebula

For reference, here is a more professional photo of the Orion Nebula taken using an 8 inch reflector and a Nikon D70 DSLR camera :

The Orion Nebula using mid-range to professional tools
such as big aperture telescopes and DSLR cameras.
(Photo credit : Ioannidis Panos; Pioannid at en.wikipedia)

Here are other photos that I took during the night (Please click photos to enlarge):

The constellation Orion 


A part of the Pleiades star cluster

My photo may be quite far from the reference photo but I'm on my way there. The use of simple tools will aid us all in exploring better systems and sophisticated equipment. As they say, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. And I have started my journey taking small steps such as doing simple astrophotography with available tools. You can do it too!





10 comments:

  1. Great shots! Not sure if your canon has a manual setting, but if it has, try doing it with the camera setup in a tripod, shutter speed 15 sec and iso 200. you'll be amazed at the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi weedbreeder. Thanks! Sadly I dont have manual control over the camera nor does it have any firmware hack on CHDK. A DSLR is really the way to go with these kind of shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plus I'm still having some trouble with tracking and holding the camera at the same time because i dont have an adator like the one you got from absindex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually, i don't have a scope yet and my camera already broke down. we are having great viewing nights lately. It's kind of a blessing that i still don't have a scope as I'm able to practice identifying constellations. I believe you have to have this skill first to know your way around stars =)

    Check out this site. It shows you what you can do with a simple stock point and shoot, a 4 inch scope with no tracking, and patience.

    http://www.dur.ac.uk/nigel.metcalfe/astro/afocal.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. great pictures marvin. Kudos to you! By the way, I have put in my blog about the AAP Blog Site. Feel free to check it out. Hopefully once i get my telescope, i'll be able to do some astrophotography on my own. You may also put some pictures about Saturn and Venus as both of them are visible in the early morning. We are having some great weather and atmosphere right now so this is a very good timing for you. Also, I would like to suggest if you can add one more tab in our AAP Blog for the gallery. It will be great if we can showcase most of the pictures taken by our co-AAP members. One more thing, I can't seem to put some post on the site. Keep it up ! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. marvin, crisel, may I suggest a forum also for AAP?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi weedbreeder! Sure, I'll work out a some sort of forum for the AAP blog. Any improvements and suggestions are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @weedbreeder

    Thanks for that excellent link about point and shoot astrophotography. very inspiring!

    our forum is also now open for registration. please visit

    http://astronomersanonymousphilippines.freeforums.org/

    or proceed to the AAP blogsite for registration instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I admire your passion in astronomy. I'd like to offer my help in building improvised tracker for your telescope/s(using parts from old printers)which will allow you to take longer exposures. Also, there are several point and shoot cameras that can be modified for such purposes (like CanonPowershot, from max of 15 seconds to 10,000 seconds or so after modification).Clear skies!

    Eteny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks eteny! I would appreciate any help! I'm really in need of any technical help that would aid me in improving my skills in astronomy. I hope we can get in touch more. I would love to have your email address so we can keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete